*This post may contain affiliate links, for more information see Disclosure Policy.
If you read my post about how essential oils changed my life, then you know it all started with tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is produced from melaleuca alternifolia plants. It has amazing benefits and is one of the most researched essential oils out there. Tea tree oil is my favorite go to oil. You can just about heal anything with tea tree oil. It has antibacterial, antiseptic, antimicrobial, and anti fungal properties just to name a few.
I wanted to share with you all some of my favorite tea tree oil uses.
- Tea tree oil can help with inflammation of the mucous membranes and help to fight off infection from a sore throat. To help fight a sore throat, put 1 drop of tea tree oil into a glass of warm water, swish around and gargle once a day. Do not swallow.
- It can also help fight a head cold. Thankfully the antibacterial properties are transferred through air so you can diffuse or even add 5-8 drops to your humidifier. You can also add 5-8 drops over freshly boiled water and breathe in the steam.
- Make your own hand sanitizer. You can use it with other essential oils. Find the recipe here.
- Helps fight fungus. Tea tree oil is an excellent anti-fungal. You can mix some tea tree oil (4-5 drops) with water or coconut oil(one tablespoon) and apply to nail fungus twice a day.
- My most favorite use…to clean minor cuts and abrasions. Instead of using Neosporin or another store bought antibacterial cream you can use tea tree oil and coconut oil to apply on the wound.
- Repel pests. Get a glass spray bottle and mix 20 drops then fill with water. Spray around cracks and doorways.
- Fights bad breath. Use the same recipe for the sore throat and gargle twice a day. Make sure not to swallow.
- Get rid of Mildew. I will be the first to admit that I have mildew in my shower. I just mix up a bottle of tea tree oil and water and spray onto the mildew then scrub away. Remember to use dark glass bottles when mixing essential oils. They can break down the plastic ones.
- Stop bug bites from itching. I cannot stop scratching bug bites when I get them….it’s a little embarrassing. I am like a child… Tea tree oil helps instantly when applied. It is amazing!
- Get rid of warts. Ever get a plantar wart?Plantar warts are caused from a virus and the antiviral properties in tea tree oil help to kill the virus. It helps dry them out and eventually make them fall off naturally. Check out the recipe here.
- Relieves earaches! You can mix 1 teaspoon of fractionated coconut oil with 1 drop of tea tree oil and drop the mixture into your ear. Tilt your head to the opposite side to remove the oil.
- Treat dandruff. Have you ever seen the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoos? They help to treat dandruff. If you want to make your own mixture, add some of that tea tree oil/coconut oil mixture (15 drops to 4 tablespoons of coconut oil) and apply to your scalp. Keep on for 20 minutes then shampoo out.
- The final favorite of mine (even though the list can go on and on for what tea tree oil can do for you) is to fight acne….I know what you are thinking…how can something that has the word oil in it help my acne? Well it can, I promise. It is again from the antibacterial properties in the oil. I mix up 15 drops of tea tree oil with 4 tablespoons of coconut oil in a glass jar to have on hand. As you can see I use the tea tree/coconut oil mixture a lot.
Some people may experience a skin sensitivity with tea tree oil, so it is always best to start with a heavily diluted mixture until you know how your skin reacts with tea tree oil. Tea tree oil also blends well with other essential oils such as Rosemary, Rosewood, Thyme, Clove, Geranium, Lavender, and Cinnamon. It really is one of my favorite essential oils and I use it almost every day in some form or another. I have used Young Living and Plant Guru brand (pictured below). If you are interested in purchasing the Young Living please email me at Morgan@themostlysanemommy.com. I also use the following glass rollers and glass spray bottles.